ramblings of a law student with a family history of neurosis

the ramblings of a law student with a family history of neurosis

Thursday, August 12, 2010

What to do when the weather gets bad?

Buy books of course!
Today's weather has been insane. Well maybe not if you are from the East Coast, but for me it is always something that is hard to get used to. I woke up to thunder and lightning, which I love. I get gleeful over counting the time and seeing how far away lightning is striking and I love the sound of rain. To me this is where California weather differs the most from other parts of the world. We have a steady climb to warm weather (although I guess where I am from they haven't had many days even reach the Seventies this summer) and then a steady decline into cold weather and then in the middle of winter we have two months of rain. It is never very extreme, but those winter months do get a little gloomy. There is no quick changeability, it is rare that we get any sort of rain in the summer, and really rare that we ever get thunder and lightning. It was great to be able to enjoy the weather from inside and get some things done.
So I have been working on getting some of the free stuff we have acquired to look presentable (more on that when I can actually upload my photos) but more importantly I was able to buy books. Seeing as class starts in just over a week this really needed to happen. So I went scouring looking for good deals and I did have some luck getting better prices then the campus bookstore. Now I love books, all books, I have a really hard time letting them go. I love the way they smell the way they feel in your hand, how you can watch yourself progress through one via the placement of your bookmark (not that it isn't uncommon for me to finish a book in a sitting.) But I love them as evidenced by my parents house where the majority of the books are mine, being that they are able to clear out clutter, and my father is a Kindle person. (I don't understand Kindle people- I see the appeal, but what would reading be without the page? Your answer: Fanfiction.)So anyway after navigating through sights that want me to "rent" books at a lower price (wait I have to give it back? it has a due date? I can't write in it? So you want me to pay to do what my school library allows me to do for free? No thank you) I don't think I sold back more than  a half dozen of my books for all of undergrad, I love them and after I am done with then I feel like I have formed some sort of strange relationship with them, each of us taking something and leaving our mark. (Wow nerd alert.)
So with all of that in mind I go to buy my books and I end up spending almost as much on them as I did on my Ikea furniture. For four books, nearly 500 dollars, now I am willing to pay it and I am sure, as a book user I will probably get my money's worth, but SERIOUSLY, it was a little painful. Now I just get to stress out over them arriving on time.       

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kate,
    Glad to know you have a relationship with the books and not the Ikea furniture.
    I had dinner with the family last night, it was fun, but I missed you. Don't hesitate to call me. I love you, Aunt Mo

    ReplyDelete