ramblings of a law student with a family history of neurosis

the ramblings of a law student with a family history of neurosis

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What a difference three months makes

My commute is not short, in fact it can take me an hour to get to or from school if I hit everything exactly wrong. (It is more like 45 minutes normally.) To get from school to the metro I take a school shuttle, this is in many way the most interesting part of my commute. Sometimes it is infuriating, like yesterday when the driver proceed to wait an extra five minutes despite the fact that we were crammed like sardines in the back and behind schedule. Today riding from school we were nearly empty, probably because I din't leave campus until 10:30, until we picked up undergraduates from the main campus. At this stop a large group of fraternity boys (My Pan-Hellenic and IFC friends would want me to call them men but I stand behind my word choice) got on our bus. They entered and immediately I was back at a fraternity house the smell was so strong. (That makes it sound like they reeked, but that isn't fair, it was nostalgic.)
It is funny how fraternities (and their members) seem to carry the same aura with them everywhere. They smelled of hookah, stale PBR, and rarely laundered clothes. Probably half of them where under the influence of more than one controlled substance, and there was no doubt that they were there, and who was within their group and who wasn't, their voices were raised and they were enjoying themselves.
I was very entertained, but mostly I was relieved. I was so glad that I had moved beyond that and that I would never have to enter a house that smelled like that again while also glad I had Greek life in my past that I knew what their letters where, and which house they had been in on my undergraduate's frat row. Mostly I am glad that I am really enjoying myself and for the first time feel comfortable with where and what I am.  

No comments:

Post a Comment