ramblings of a law student with a family history of neurosis

the ramblings of a law student with a family history of neurosis

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mars and Venus

Being completely honest I have never really gotten the whole being friends with boys thing. Well I understood it I just had no desire to do it/was really bad at it. I am mean and snarky (mostly as a defense to cover my warm gooey interior, "sure it is" little voice in my head that sounds like dip girl says.) And it has been my experience that the males of the human species (at least straight ones- Lord knows I have no trouble being friends with gay boys) don't like being made fun of, even if I was being sarcastic (mostly) and witty (at least I think so). 
I have always been one for girlfriends, I knew how to avoid drama, and always felt that my friendship's with girls were much deeper and more significant. It always seemed like boys wanted goofy and fun, and maybe a little stupid bimbo and ego boost, where girls wanted support. I have some amazing friends, and I am devoted to them, I will no questions asked do what I can to support the women who have been my lifeline throughout my life.
Okay so why am I rambling like a lifetime movie? 
I haven't found my girlfriends, and somehow I am falling into easy friendships with the guys in my class. (Gay boys are their usual reliable selves, as amazing in law school as elsewhere.) This is absolutely bizarre for me but I think I know why it is happening.
1) The Boy/Man thing. So Boys in college are boys. Period end of sentence do not cross go do not collect 200 dollars. (The obvious caveat being non-traditional students.) Where as by law school there is an expectation of professionalism that makes the boys pretend to be men. 9I have no doubt that put them back with their buddies and there is no change from their frat house days- then again that may never change.) This means I am not so annoyed with them that I want to kill them five minutes into every conversation (Not that i ever wanted to do that with your 19 year old pledge brother, of course not) 
2) The serous relationship thing. So it feels like everyone here is in a serious long term relationship and it is expected that I am too. I guess this lessens any expectation that exchanges are somehow indicative of something sexual. (Honestly people how many of you are engaged? And no I don't need to see your engagement photo.)
3) Everyone takes this really seriously, it isn't about having fun it is about finding what you can get out of people.
4) The girls seem to have taken that to a whole new level. Cold and competitive and a little bit crazy. (I am looking at you crazy girl who wouldn't let me FREE PRINT after her. and other crazy girl who wouldn't let me use the electrical plug next to her.) Ladies is this cattiness really necessary?   
In summation:
I guess I am growing up, somehow i am able to be friends with boys without giggling about cooties.
I need to find some girl friends because Dip Girl is leaving in less then ten weeks and I won't have any one to drink, gossip and giggle about boys with.     

No comments:

Post a Comment