ramblings of a law student with a family history of neurosis

the ramblings of a law student with a family history of neurosis

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Still nervous, but maybe less so now.

I am so excited to start my contracts class. Let me repeat, I am excited to start my contracts class.
Wait what was that? Did I just talk about excitement and contracts in the same sentence without a hint of irony? Are you reading correctly?
Yes dear reader you are. Now if you are a normal person, or someone who has gone through the first year of law school, you are probably thinking, "what in God's name is she on?"
The first year of law school is notoriously brutal. (In case you don't know 1L- that is the first year of law school- has a pretty standard curriculum across the country based on ABA rules. So most of us will be sitting down to Torts, Contracts and Civil Procedure in a matter of days or week. Most of us will be using the same three books in these classes as well.) And for most people it is contracts that they dread the most.
Now I can't say that I am particularly stoked about the subject matter. (Although who knows I have never taken a contracts class. I have often joked when people ask me what kind of law I am interested in that I may well find that contracts are my passion.) No I am excited about my professor...
In addition to specializing in media and speech issues (areas that I am very interested in) he also serves on the board of trusties for the Campaign for Justice and the Human Rights Campaign, that in addition to helping found the HRC and creating their legal division. If you don't know the CfJ and HRC are two of the biggest organizations looking at the legal issues surrounding gender issues and advocating for the human rights of people in the LGBTQ community. It is an area that has so many hot issues right now, not only is it fascinating but they are issues I feel personally passionate about. (Yea Prop 8 being overturned!) Now who knows if it will ever even come up but maybe it will and hopefully that will be enough to enable me to do really well in contracts this semester.
I also know who my Torts professor is and while I am not nearly as excited, I actually recognized his name because I had read a paper he wrote on environmental law issues. Also he serves on the board for Greenpeace (an organization that while I support their ends I have trouble with their means) and as a group I think they are perceived as being totally outside the law and it would be fascinating to hear from someone who looks at their work from a legal angle.
My Civil Procedure professor is a visiting professor, so the school isn't disposed to give us as much information, but based on his ABA profile, (in case you didn't guess already I have spent the morning crazily stalking these people via my computer) he has done allot of work advocating for law students. (Something that predisposes me to like him.) Although he did assign us reading for the first day (less predisposed) but he is the only professor who has posted his syllabus (more predisposed) and it is clear and far from overwhelming.
All and all I think it is going to be a good semester although, I am a little disappointed by the lack of female faculty teaching 1L classes. Well I will take what I can get. (Or in this case what I am paying through the nose for.)             

No comments:

Post a Comment