ramblings of a law student with a family history of neurosis

the ramblings of a law student with a family history of neurosis

Monday, September 27, 2010

A pretty good Monday...

Which I was owed because last week's (mostly) sucked.
Last Monday I was sleep deprived, which was mostly my fault because I didn't get my memo written before my dad came to visit. My Torts class (which is fun and tends to have cases I understand plus a professor who genuinely enjoys teaching) was replaced by Civil Procedure (which also has a great professor but the subject is terribly dull, and sometimes confusing. it deals with issues like standing and jurisdiction, which are valuable but just not all that interesting.) Which also meant I had extra civil procedure reading to do over the weekend.
Then I had my legal writing class. This tends to be everyone's least favorite class. We all know we need it, and i do think it is helpful, it is just that the format is slow and tedious and then you are thrown out to do something on your own that you don't really know how to do. Then each week after you have toiled with it and gotten very frustrated you are told how you should have done it in the first place. It is really very discouraging, especially when you want to do well.
Last week was especially bad because I wasn't happy with where the draft of my memo was. This admittedly my fault for not working on it sooner than I did. but then we peer reviewed and my reviewer is the biggest jerk in the class, egotistical, talks back in class, thinks he can do no wrong. (He is a good writer, and did a good job editing) but had to humiliate me in the process.
Thankfully was going to happy hour after, nothing helps soothe an ego like burgers and half price drinks.
Today was much better. In part because we didn't have legal rhetoric, we have on on one conferencing with the professor instead. And I had done a good job preparing this draft. Also I was cold called in Contracts today. Something that could have been frightening, especially because it was one of the more dificult cases we have had, and I left my book with many of my notes (stupidly) at home this morning. Thankfully it went as well as it could of. Not amazing but really solid, and that I felt good about.
All and all pretty good. It isn't easy but most of it is a mind game with myself because I have never cared so much about anything before.

No comments:

Post a Comment