ramblings of a law student with a family history of neurosis

the ramblings of a law student with a family history of neurosis

Sunday, October 31, 2010

The version of me born in 1948 is so jealous...

I promise I will get to the rally and Halloween (as soon as I get the photos off my camera), but first . . . Patti Boyd.
One of my friends was looking at my iPod and as a result of my tastes being very hip for someone in the 1970's recommended Patti Boyd's biography to me. I don't know if I am going to be able to finish it. Not that it isn't an amazing story. It is just to frustrating to read, it is making me simultaneously jealous and disheartened.
For anyone who doesn't know Patti Boyd is the ex-wife of George Harrison and Eric Clapton. She is the inspiration for among other songs: Layla, Bell Bottom Blues, Something oh and Wonderful tonight.
Layla- the song I love so much it was my vote for my best friend to name her daughter, and the name she ultimately chose.
Bell Bottom Blues- My favorite modern blues song, my favorite Clapton song.
Something- The song Rolling Stone called it the most romantic song ever written.
And of course Wonderful Tonight- Only one of my top five songs (it is in a separate category from my favorites stratified by artist, because I don't think it exemplifies Clapton's style or playing the way most do.) Also what I would consider to be the most romantic song ever written. It is a song I often use to exemplify what women want, it is to be made to feel like that, to be seen the way she is seen in that song. That the man we are with sees us as more beautiful than we think we are, needs us more than we can see and loves us more than we know. (And by the way it was written as they were getting ready to go to Paul and Linda McCartney's Buddy Holly party.)
I really don't feel like this is fair at all, what I wouldn't give for just one amazing love song to be written about me, and she has at least a half dozen.Then the worst part is as you read you get all the horrible rock and roll wife stories that taint the way I see these songs.
Honestly I am waiting to find out that Beast of Burden (what I consider to be the sexiest song ever written) was inspired by a sub-par one night stand with Keith Richards and I will really throw the book down.

No comments:

Post a Comment