ramblings of a law student with a family history of neurosis

the ramblings of a law student with a family history of neurosis

Monday, January 24, 2011

How quickly everything stays the same.

I am back at school, back around my friends, and it is really good. I like my classes this semester. Mostly I am astonished at how quickly we all fall back into the same routines we had before break. How the time away falls away and everything is the same. In some ways it is refreshing. A semester in I know what I am doing, or at least I can fake it and not make a fool of myself. It is hard to believe I am just over a sixth of the way through law school. On the one hand I know it is going to fly by. I know one day I will look back and think, jeez that was a blink. At the same time there are moments where the amount of time it will take to do this feels impossible to span. Moments when the sheer volume of what I have to get through is drowning.
Those are the moments when I go running. I feel very embodied when I run, like I exist only in that moment and the rest doesn't matter. Or I run away. Like this weekend when I ran away to Virgina, to exist apart for reality, and just escape. Moments where nothing mattered except feeling loved and supported around people who leave me feeling confident in myself and the future.
And when reality strikes again, well then I just remember what my dad taught me- there is only one way to eat a whale, one bite at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment